How to Style Nautical

          nau·ti·cal
               ˈnôtikəl/
adjective
           1.
of or concerning sailors or navigation.

Can we call it a trend if it comes back with a vengeance year after year?  Yeah, why not!
Nautical inspired clothing as well as nautical inspired styling is all over the place for Spring 2014. Whether it's anchors embroidered onto tops or woven rope style chain necklaces, you are bound to see something sailor chic in at least one of your favorite stores.  The best thing about this trend is depending on your sense of style you can go one of two ways, you can either take it literally or you can simply be inspired by the color combinations and pattern choices of the maritime lifestyle.

Today on the blog, I'll be showing you all 3 different way to style the nautical trend for some fabulous spring outfits, featuring button down shirts....a personal favorite.  Let's get started.

 ..............................................................................................

 So let's start with a literal outfit. With this look, our button up blouse has little tiny sailboats on it.  When you have something as obviously nautical as this, you really can have fun with the rest of the look by styling it however you see fit. The print does all of the hard work for you and the rest is about expressing yourself.  For spring, a must have piece for me that I find myself reaching for on the daily is a classic trench.  Although one day I hope to afford the gorgeous nova check plaid lined Burberry trench, for now I'm staying budget friendly with this version from Forever21.  For the rest of my outfit I simply added some cut off denim shorts with a rolled cuff and my cognac wedges with gold jewelery and a boyfriend watch. 
Wedges: JCPenney / Trench: Forever21 / Shorts: Old Navy / Blouse: The Limited / Watch: Charming Charlies

 For the next take on nautical, you can look to color combinations. A classic one that always makes my mind think 'Sailor Chic' is navy blue and a rich candy apple red. This blouse that features red and blue with little gold buttons definitely exudes that vibe.  I layered a rope style gold chain necklace over it to tie into the whole trend and finished off my bottom half with white skinny jeans and red shoes.
Skinnies: Express / Pumps: Target / Shirt: The Limited / Necklace: Target / Earrings: The Limited

 Lastly, you can look to styling and accessories to scream sailor! When I think about being at sea, I think of a cute little bathing suit with a cover up on top, or some high waisted shorts and a shirt tied at the waist.  For this outfit, I wanted to bring that shirt tie into an every day outfit and unbuttoned the bottom two buttons on my boyfriend style shirt, tying it at the waist right above my white pencil skirt.  Then, I simply accesorized with a coral necklace, and cognac wedges. 
Wedges: Target / Skirt: JCPenney / Blouse: JCPenney / Necklace & Earrings: Aria

1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6

So which way will you be rocking the nautical trend this spring? Through prints, color combos, or styling? Let me know in the comments down below! Thanks for stopping by today :)
Stay Stylish
XoXo
-Viktoria